This plugin provides a faster and easier way to select the current document highlighting mode in gedit. Just press Ctrl+Shift+H, type the language and press Enter.
It's written in Python, so you don't have to compile anything or get any binary. The source is there for inspection and installation.
- Fixed multiple gedit instances bug.
- Fixed possible memory leaks (the old author doesn't like to set Objects to None???).
- Removed unused libraries, which caused the plugin to stop working in the past.
- Improved tasks modularization (populate, create menu, etc).
- Structured the code to be PythonPluginHowTo compatible.
Just click here to get a zip package.
- Extract files to directory ~/.gnome2/gedit/plugins
- Run gedit
- In gedit main menu go to: Edit -> Preferences
- In Preferences dialog go to Plugins tab
- Find Quick Highlight Mode in plugin list and check it
A case of love
I've always loved Notepad like editors for programming and now it has been a while since I started using gedit as my standard editor. Gedit is über simple, fast and easy to use, plus, and the most important, it features a flexible plugin system which can be used to dynamically add new advanced features to the editor itself.
Currently, there are a ton of good plugins available to increase the user experience with the editor. But the ones I currently like are:
Enables user to assign the shortcuts by his own taste. more info
Find in Documents
Adds a side panel that allows you to search all open documents for a string. get it
Allows you to have multiple text cursors so that you can simultaneously edit different parts of a document as you type. more info
Quick Highlight Mode
This page one.
Search and replace in documents using regular expressions. get it
A regex open file dialog that resembles that of Textmate. more info
A tree-view style, ctags based symbol browser which lists functions, classes, variables, etc. in the left pane. more info
Gedit version for the ToDo List Textmate bundle. more info
The built-in and the ones in gedit-plugins package
What could I say? They are just a must have.